The long term effects of child abuse or neglect can be devastating. The question is, “how is it affecting your current life?” Most likely you had to resort to some basic survival skills to get through your childhood, like lying, cheating, stealing, manipulating, doing drugs, and finding validation through relationships with inappropriate people.
If you did any of those things to “survive,” then those patterns of behavior are probably still with you and they may be creating problems for you today. You have to learn to reprogram those patterns by:
- Recognizing they are there.
- Understanding where they came from.
- Identifying when they are used.
- Replacing them with some healthy behavior.
- Developing a plan to continue to monitor and work on them.